Sunday, July 18, 2004

 

Don't Miss This SJ Mercury Feature on TWorks

If you didn't see it, The Merc had a great feature on TheatreWorks and Kelley yesterday.

This, after all TheatreWorks' 35th year in business, quite an achievement.

Here it is: The SJ Mercury Article

I just thought I'd share my earliest memory of TheatreWorks. I went on the TheatreWorks site to figure out what year this was. (They have a listing of every season dating back to the beginning here.)

So back in 1978 my parents had these friends whose son had written the incidental music for this wacky production of Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" in Palo Alto. I think at that time TheatreWorks may have been performing in the City Council chambers!

I recall this long stage with seats on each side, and I think we might have been sitting on the floor, although I'm not sure. To be honest my primary memory is that they had this big inflated beach-bally-type set piece on stage. And when Olivia was going on in one of her speeches about her lust for Viola she was leaning up against the ball at least for part of it.

Granted this was 26 years ago, so my memory may be a little off.

I do remember it all felt very modern; very avant-garde. And I don't think that was only to me, a little 13 or 14 year old, but also to my parents.

Anyway, feel free to share your earliest memory of a TheatreWorks production. I'm sure some of you have a much better memory than I do.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?