Tuesday, August 10, 2004

 

Do Girls Still Read "A Little Princess"?

I remember A Little Princess as one of my favorite books growing up. That and The Secret Garden, both written by Frances Hodgson Burnett, were staples for my generation of young girls. Funny how they both were turned into musicals huh?

In fact, some time in my 30s I decided to buy some of the books I remembered loving as a child and to read them again. I thought it would be interesting to see if certain fondly remembered books still struck a chord with me. I bought the Burnett books first thing, along with the Chronicles of Narnia, The Phantom Tollbooth and others.

And I loved those books all over again!

I think in many cases I loved the books with very vivid descriptions, not only of events, but of people and their feelings, of places and their atmosphere, of things and their meaning.

I can still picture Sara Crewe's attic as I pictured it back then. And her doll. And the monkey. I can still picture the two sisters who ran the school.

I know someone out there will disagree, but I never really fell in love with the Ramona books, because they seemed very anecdotal. First this happened; then that happened and so on. Give me inner monologs. Give me small details. Give me a little flight of fantasy too.

I wonder if girls of a certain age still read the Burnett duo of books as I, and other girls my age, did? I certainly hope so. As a adult I can appreciate that they subtly imparted wisdom about helping others and about being perseverant. Still good lessons.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?