Wednesday, August 18, 2004

 

What "A Little Princess" Means To You

I've been having some conversations with friends about "A Little Princess." After posting my own story about how much I loved this book as a child (and when I read it again as an adult) I've been asking other people about their own memories of the book.

I found out I'm not the only one who loved it. I'm not even the only one who read it again as an adult. I received this lovely story that captures the poignant and uplifting quality of "A Little Princess."

"Oh my, that was and still is one of my favorite books. My children watched the video over and over.

Specific memories? I just remember reading that book over and over from when I was about 8 to when I was about 12. Every time I went into a Victorian-type house, I would imagine it was Miss Minchin's Academy! And here's something else: when I was in my mid-30s, my father died. I was searching for comfort, of course, and turned to a number of my favorite children's books, in addition to "A Little Princess." It wasn't until after I'd finished "A Little Princess" that I realized why I had felt a strong need to read it again at that time. Sara Crewe learns that there can be comfort and love again after great loss.
"



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?